It has been a little over a year since I have written a blog post and boy have things changed. I landed a new job which hasn’t started yet due to COVID, I purchased a new construction home, I adapted a frugal and debt free journey lifestyle, and I have started to focus on self care which is something I have been neglecting for years.
One of the most important things out of the items I listed was that I started focusing on my finances and really work hard to pay down my debt. In order for me to be able to quit the 9 to 5 lifestyle, I have to eliminate the amount of debt that I had. I went from $49,679.95 in debt to currently $17,846.97 in a little over a year. Trust me this was not an easy process at all!! Some of the things I did was:
- I got honest with myself about my finances and wrote down every debt I owed.
- I wrote down what things I valued the most and cancelled and unsubscribed from everything else.
- I follow Dave Ramsey’s 7 baby steps in order.
- I apply any extra money left from my income and from side hustles towards debt.
- I created a Instagram page where I connected with other debt free journeyers for motivation and open discussions.
- I started saying NO to temporary things (which included happy hours and trips) to gain financial freedom.
- I created a budget (and stick with it) and track all expenses every month.
- I coupon and use promo codes on EVERYTHING.
- I cancelled all emails and text messages from my favorite stores.
- I eat at home!
Doing these things took a lot of discipline, saying NO to things that I was used to doing, and learning how to be frugal but still able to have fun on a budget. Even though I am not totally debt free, especially with a new mortgage payment in the works, I am now able to live a more comfortable lifestyle now without worrying about my finances. Its a whole new level of freedom I can only imagine what it feels like once I get to the finish line. You can do this too and totally change your finances which will in fact change your life. If you need more frugal tips and/or want to follow my debt free journey follow me on Instagram.
If you enjoyed this blog post, please like, share and/or comment below. As always, I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to stop by. Stay tuned for my next blog post.